Chief Lanier would like to extend the invitation to community members and the press to attend the Metropolitan Police Department’s 16th Annual Awards Ceremony to take place on Thursday, March 3, 2016. 40 individuals, both civilians and sworn-members, will be recognized for their outstanding and exemplary contributions to the agency and the city during 2015.
The awards ceremony publicly recognizes members of the Metropolitan Police Department and the community for their dedication to the police department and the communities served. Chief of Police, Cathy Lanier and the MPD family will acknowledge individuals for their dedication. Mayor Bowser is also expected to attend in celebrating members’ whose service was integral to the success of the agency in serving the District of Columbia.
Some notable cases last year members are being recognized for include the following achievements:
- Closure of three homicide cold cases, all of which had been open for 20 years
- Arrest of a suspect in an aggravated assault case involving the kidnapping of a baby in a stroller
- 65 arrests, including 8 weapon recoveries and 12 drug arrests made by a single officer
- Development and arrest of a suspect in nine first degree burglary cases in the Mt. pleasant area
- Successful detective work resulting in the closure of the armed robbery spree involving taxi cabs
- Thursday, March 3, 2016
- Mr. Hoots (owl) photo opportunity at 6:15 pm
- Event start time with opening remarks at 7:00 pm
- Elstad Auditorium at Gallaudet University
- 800 Florida Avenue, NW
- Washington, DC 20002
- Media availability with Chief of Police at 6:45 pm
“We have a great group of award recipients, diverse in and age and assignment, who I’d like to congratulate on behalf of the police department. Thank you to all who have made great efforts to provide services to the residents and visitors of DC,” said Chief of Police Cathy Lanier. “It is important to recognize these achievements and dedication of these individuals,” continued Lanier, “we hope you will be able to join us in helping celebrate our successes together.”