The mission of the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Public Safety and Justice (DMPSJ) is to provide direction, guidance support and coordination to the District’s public safety agencies to develop and lead interagency public safety initiatives to improve the quality of life in the District’s neighborhoods.
Summary of Services
The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Public Safety and Justice was reconstituted, after four years of dormancy, in 2011 to provide guidance, support and coordination of public safety and justice agencies of the District. The role of the agency was expanded to include oversight of service programs that previously operated as independent agencies. This new structure will enhance the oversight function and improve service delivery.
DMPSJ provides agency oversight and support for citywide public safety and justice related policies, activities and initiatives under its jurisdiction including:
- Developing and supporting policies and programs to improve the delivery of services by government agencies and contracted providers;
- Coordinating interagency activities and initiatives;
- Identifying opportunities for reducing redundancies, leveraging resources, creating economies of scale, and improving outcomes;
- Ensuring compliance with local and federal mandates; and
- Collecting and disseminating performance data for agency activities and initiatives.